Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lasting Energy

There are so many resources out there with tips on how to eat for big workouts/races/competitions. It can be a bit overwhelming! I think I have a pretty good grasp at it, but I think every "body" is different. So I did a bit of trial and error when it comes to eating before and after my longer workouts. I'm by no means an expert, this just works for me!
 
Last week...

Before: Last week I did a 2 hour spinning class, it was brutal (but I loved it!). An hour before I had a big protein/fruit shake and a few handfuls of homemade granola.



During: One hour into the ride I had a 100 calorie juice box.

After: When I got home, I had lunch about 1/2 hour later. This did not work for me! I found 3/4 of the way into the ride I was HUNGRY! To the point of distraction. My body was craving calories that I didn't have.



This week...


So here's what I tried for my hour and a quarter workout today (15 minute skipping session + 1 hour spinning class). 

Before: Oatmeal, fruit, flax and nuts 1 hour before the workout


After: Banana, Peanut Butter, Milk and Protein Powder shake 10 minutes after. An hour and a half later I had lunch. Much better! (below is the BF's epic lasagna. Hands down, best thing he makes!)



The difference?

In the morning I ate a complex carb (oatmeal) that provided lasting energy and simple carb (fruit/honey in oatmeal) that gave me my initial boost. Afterwards I was able to replenish all my lost blood sugar (sugar in the banana and protein powder) and help start muscle repair with protein (protein powder and milk). Voila! My winning combo for lasting energy!

Emilie

No comments:

Post a Comment