Wednesday, October 19, 2011

protein bars from scratch

Who out there is scared of protein bars? You never know what they really put in those things!

My brother found a recipe he wanted to try for some home-made protein bars (here).

We made a few substitutions (of course!). Instead of just we used skim milk. We used walnuts instead of dates and 1 cup of honey instead of 3/4 cup corn syrup.

They turned out amazing! They are a tad on the dry side so I would add more milk or use dates next time (they make baked items moister than nuts do!). I'm a fan of chocolate and peanut butter too, so perhaps omit some honey and sub in peanut butter? It's worth a try!

I wrapped some in plastic wrap for lunches and on-the-run snacks before a workout.


What do you want to try from scratch instead of buying it ready-made? I challenge you to try doing just that this week!

Emilie

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Looks like it's a perfect snack too. Love to try :) Thank you so much for your comment on my blog! -akiko

    http://styleimported.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete