Friday, September 7, 2012

kale love

Now I didn't really like raw kale for a while. I thought it had a pretty strong taste. But like most things- try try  and try again and you will succeed! In this case I succeeded in loving a very nutritious green that you can eat raw, cooked, in salads, in soups, in stir fries - you name it! It's not going to replace my favourite green - baby spinach, but it's a close second!

Kale is packed full of nutrition. It has Vitamin K, folate, iron, beta-carotene. It's low in fat and salt but high in fiber.

This week Kale has been thrown into lots of dishes since we got a big bunch of it from my parents' garden.

Kale and Carrot Slaw

2 big leaves of kale, stems removed and chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 small handful of sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste


It made a great side for lunches like with my toasted tomato and havarti sandwich this week.


Or my second burrito!




Quinoa and Kale Salad

3/4 cup quinoa (cook in twice as much water until all is absorbed)
1 tomato, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 carrot, grated
2 heads of kale, stems removed and chopped

Splash of olive oil
1/4 of a lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste


This salad was made a great dinner with some BBQ turkey sausages.


What are your favourite kale recipes?

Emilie





1 comment: