Monday, July 19, 2010

To the moon

There was a saying around my house during University. "Toughen up!" where the first words out of my mouth when I would hear anyone complain about doing something they didn't think they could do or that was too hard. I was reminded of those words when having dinner with my family last friday. My brother quoted JFK's words when he promised the world the US would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade. When asked why he would promise something seemingly impossible he said, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard".

That quote really reminded me of those days in University when I began taking every challenge in life head on. What have you done lately that challenged you? Here are some of my recent challenges:

- I've gotten back into sewing and have converted my office into the sewing room I've always wanted. My first project was a cute jumper with a ruffle at the back. Next up is a skirt and vintage aprons!


- Every year my boyfriend enters a neighborhood rib festival and this year the secondary entry is cheesecake. I love cooking and eating, but I've never been one to bake all that much. I find there's not enough room to experiment or cook on a whim. But given my love of a good food challenge I signed myself up (or was I forced? I can't remember...). My first two attempts have been a bit of a disaster. The picture below presents nicely and they were tasty enough, but didn't hold up very well. Both attempts have not produced a "winner". This weekend will be better. Third time is a charm!



- I love the feeling of accomplishment when you use tools to put up pictures, shelves, or in today's case a curtain rod to showcase the fabulous drapes my mom made me this weekend!



Thanks Ma!

No comments:

Post a Comment