Thursday, February 17, 2011

Empty Fridge Breakfast

I've been sick all week and my fridge was bare by last night. Brother and I braved the gym this morning (this being the first time in five days for me! I was proud) and I wanted to hit the groceries after for a few necessities to at least get us through breakfast. But it was closed and didn't open soon enough to give me time to get ready for work. So at home I quickly typed in the ingredients I had in my freezer to make some quick breakfast muffins. Here's what I ended up with:

Strawberry Banana Breakfast Muffins

Mix together:
2 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour (I only had a cup and a half so I filled the rest with oats and white flour)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder (or 3 tbsp according to my brother! It definitely made them light and moist!)
1/4 cup brown sugar (it called for 1/2 cup but I like tasting the fruit instead of the sugar)

Mix Together then add to dry ingredients and combine until wet:
6 tbsp applesauce
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fruit (I used 2 frozen bananas and sliced strawberries)
2 tbsp ground flax seed

Makes 12 muffins. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.

Source

So my take was they were way too moist, but that's in part from the baking powder and part by the lack of flour. Perhaps too much fruit too? They really hit the spot though. Timing was perfect too, I mixed them up, put them in the oven and had hot muffins to eat by the time I was dressed!


Of course I had to bring one to work for snack in a cute jar:



Speaking of getting dressed. I was feeling so much better today. I went with a confident red look.


And here is yesterday's look:


1 comment: